Monday, October 17, 2011
Review of Past meeting:
New Officers were Elected
President: Dan Heskamp
Treasurer: Jon Arends
Secretary: Daniel Jasa
Brainstorming for Print Sale:
We established three (and only three) areas to focus on for the print sale fundraiser:
1. Sale of artwork. We will sort through the print stack next meeting to eliminate prints which are un-sellable. Dan Heskamp volunteered to collect artwork from members who have new work to submit.
2. Art Auction. There are a few prints from visiting artists that could fetch a high price.
3. Press Demonstration. We decided to run a press at the print sale. We'll offer 5-10 designs to print for people on demand.
Date for Print Sale:
We decided to run the print sale the two days before, and the day of our 4th street show reception (the 15th, 16th and 17th of November). On the 17th, we will start the sale at the VAB, and move it to 4th street to set up before the reception.
Collection of Dues:
Treasurer Jon Arends continues to collect dues. If you have not already, pay him your dues of $25.
Sunday, January 30, 2011
First Order of Buisness: "No Name, No Slogan"
- The club portfolio exchange is now ready to be picked up! Those who participated in "No Name, No Slogan" may pick up their portfolio in the printshop!
Second Order of Business: Semesterly Club Dues
- It's that time again to pay your semesterly dues of $25. It is with this money that the club orders supplies, organizes fundraisers, gets participating members to conferences, brings in visiting artists and so much more! So please to all members, pay them within the next 2 weeks.
- Checks are made out to Adrian Chin. You may turn them into Kyle, Adrian or Jessica.
Third Order of Business: Undergrad Participation
- All undergrad printmaking majors, the club would like to invite you all to attend club meetings, fundraisers and events and upcoming conferences!
-If you have any questions about the club and what we do, feel free to ask members if you see them in the shop (there's also a grad in almost every print class this semester) as well as your instructors, Mike Barnes, Ashley Nason or Anna Kenar.
Fourth Order of Business: Printbanger's Ball/SGC
- Mike Barnes' press, Rockpile Press, would like to team up with Bandolier Press for Tom Huck's Printbanger's Ball during this year's SGC conference in St. Louis!!
- This means coming together as a club to create merchandise to sell at the booth. Some ideas that were shared at the meeting were: t-shirts (duh), pennants, magnets, stickers, patches, totes, temporary tattoos, skate decks and decals.
- For all this merch we would print up some designs that would sell (not just Bandolier Press stuff).
- The club has agreed to meet every Friday until SGC (March 16th-19th) to put our heads together and get this merch cranked out. We expect some sort of effort put forth by every member since it will be a huge task!
- Also, don't forget to register for SGC ASAP!!!! Deadline is approaching!
Fifth Order of Business: Printpalooza!!
- Not really an order of business, but just wanted to say awesome job to Eric Fuertes and John Medina for kicking some ass at this weekend's Printpalooza in Evanston!
- Go here to see a video of the two of them with the infamous Dumbo Press!!
Monday, December 13, 2010
- We are finalizing the last details and will soon have the portfolios to you! Yay!
Second Order of Business: New Club Portfolio Exchange
- Sargent of Arms and Enforcer will be coming up with the next theme.
- Club voted that the size will be 9"x12", the number of runs will be open, there will be NO digital prints accepted,a nd the due date will be around May 20th, 2011.
Third Order of Business: New Club Officers
- Tom is now a Nomad as he will be in his final semester.
- Dan was voted to be the new Vice President.
- James was voted to be the new Enforcer.
- All other officers remain the same.
Our next meeting will be during the Printmaking Workshop class next semester. Hope you all have a great break!
Friday, November 12, 2010
- We need prints to auction off! We are asking that all club members submit one awesome print to auction off.
-Prints will be hung in the glass cases outside the main office on the 2nd floor of the School of Art Monday afternoon, so you have until Monday morning to get your prints submitted. Please drop your prints off with Kyle or in Kyle's flatfile in the print room.
- The silent auction will be held November 14th - December 4th. Bidding will end at 5PM on December 4th. Again, all money raised will go to the club.
Second Order of Business: Club Dues
- All club members must pay semesterly club dues of $25. There are still members who have yet to pay.
-The following (according to my record) have paid:
-If you do not see your name on the list, you have until December 3rd to turn them in. If you have paid and do not see your name on this list, please let Jessica, Kyle, or Adrian know.
-Give club dues to either Jessica, Kyle or Adrian. All checks are to made out to Adrian Chin.
Third Order of Business: Meeting Attendance
-It really is important for all club members to attend the club meetings. The more the people attend the meetings, the easier decisions can be made/information can be discussed/the more fun we will have.
-We strongly encourage undergrads to attend these meetings! If you are even slightly interested in going to print conferences, participating in portfolio exchanges, getting group shows, working with visiting artists, and many many great opportunities PLEASE attend!
Fourth Order of Business: Last Meeting of the Semester
-The last meeting will be on Friday December 3rd at the Annex Studios (behind the furniture store across the street from Walmart on Sycamore Road) at 5PM.
-At this meeting we will try to get a loose schedule for next semester's club game plan as well as vote on new club officers....for this we really need your attendance!
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Bandolier Press Print Club
Rules and Regulations:
Club members are required to pay semesterly dues of 25$
Club members are responsible for designing and printing 3 T-shirts and 1 poster each semester
Club members are expected to complete a graduate colloquium each semester
Club members are to set up and have one club show annually
Club members are encouraged to participate and set-up print and portfolio exchanges
Club members are expected to look at and update blog regularly.
The Club will hold annual print sales (fall) and silent auctions (spring)
Officer positions are to be open to club vote any time there is a vacancy.
Officer positions are to be renewed each semester through a club vote.
Officers may not relinquish positions at any time other than at the end of each semester.
Officer positions can only be received or retained through a 2/3rds majority club vote.
Only 1-year members may take the President, Vice President or Sgt. At Arms positions.
All officer positions are open to all members, Graduate and Undergraduate.
All members must Prospect for 1 semester prior to becoming a full time member.
Prospects are required to pay dues, and are expected to attend all club meetings.
The Club will hold bi-monthly meetings where club business is to be discussed.
All Club action and business must first be discussed and voted on during meetings.
No member is above the club.
If a member wishes to terminate membership, there dues are to be returned, but only if there termination is prior to mid-term. Other than that, the club withholds the dues.
Dues are to be used to purchase paper, t-shirts, and any other club voted action.
All members must sign the constitution, committing their agreement to the rules and regulations established by it.
Hierarchy and Officer/Member Duties:
NOMADS- 3rd year 2nd semester grads: These members are highest in seniority and help out mildly, but are to be focused on MFA Thesis.
President- In charge of overseeing and responsible for timely completion of all club actions.
Vice President- In charge of making sure all financial transactions and paper work is completed including the colloquium, show, and sales.
Sgt. At Arms- In charge of making sure all t-shirts and posters are printed and organizing club portfolio with the Enforcer.
Secretary- In charge of completing all paperwork in collaboration with the V.P.
Treasurer- In charge of all financial transactions with the club in collaboration with the V.P. At any sale, checks are to be made out in the Treasurers name and to be cashed by him or her and brought to the club account.
Enforcer- Responsible for assisting the Sgt. At Arms with all cutting and printing of T-shirts and posters along with organizing club portfolio.
Club Member- Members who are not officers are responsible for assisting any officers with specified work.
Prospect- Any first semester Grad or Undergrad who wishes to join the club. Responsible for supplying meetings with beverages and assisting any member with any specified work at any time.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
- Cases are being ordered very soon and the colophon page will be done by Monday!
Second Order of Buisness: Silent Auction
- The dates for the silent auction have been booked. The silent auction will be held at the School of Art on the 2nd floor in the glass cases next to the main office on November 14th - December 4th. Bidding will end at 5PM on December 4th.
-Please submit one awesome print to be auctioned off. Again, all money raised will go to the club.
Third Order of Business: Club Constitution Update
- Our Constitution has been updated. The updates include new duties for the club officers and some rule changes.
- I will be posting a copy of the updated Constitution here on the blog. Be sure to read it over, especially if you are a current officer or are planning to run for one.
*Reminder: elections for new officers are held at the end of each semester.*
Fourth Order of Buisness: Next Club Portfolio
- One of the new duties of the Enforcer and Sargent of Arms is to come up with and manage the club portfolio exchanges, meaning Dan and Tessa will be in charge of coming up with the next portfolios theme and stats.
Fifth Order of Buisness: BadDog Show?
- If anyone knows if there will be a BadDog show this coming week, please let Jessica or Kyle know.
- Plans to go guerilla and collaborate with GAA at last week's show did not happen, so we're planning on the Halloween/Day of the Dead masks sales.
- If there is now show at BadDog, then we will sell them around the School of Art.
-This means we still need skull designs!!! Bring them to the Printmaking workshop class 6PM on Tuesday night (10/26) where we will finalize designs and get them ready to print.
Sixth Order of Buisness: Graduate Colloquium
-The deadline is next week!! Let's pull together to write this colloquium and get someone awesome to visit NIU!!!
-Those who attended the meeting have made some suggestions for possible artists to come print with us. We ask that EVERYONE take the time to look at the possible artists, make a decision on who you would like to work with and comment here on the blog. We will then tally the results and make a final decision. We ask that you make this decision BEFORE MONDAY (10/25) so that we can get our heads together and type up a good submission.
The following artists were chosen by club members:
1. The Amazing Hancock Brothers (Austin, Texas)
(they used to have a site, but now its a casino??)
- Brother duo from Austin, TX. Their eye catching work consists of woodcut, silkscreen, litho, mixed media, and performance. They do it all!
2. Tugboat Printshop (Pittsburgh, PA)
-Husband and wife team, Paul Roden and Valerie Leuth, create awesome woodcuts.....check out that USA print!
3. Nicole Hand (Murray, KY)
- Nicole makes, as Ann Flowers says, "some juicy etchings!" Check her out!
4. Art Werger (Athens, OH)
-Art can juggle and make some mean mezzotints and color etchings!
DEADLINE for ElectronicSubmissions:
October 28, by 5:30pm to: email@example.com.
(note: the School of Art deadline is earlierthan the date listed on the
Graduate School website, as we are required to rankthem prior )
The Graduate Colloquium program was established in 1966 to
bringscholars, artists, professionals, and public figures to lecture or
perform atNIU. Events are arranged andcoordinated by the Colloquium and
a Department, Division, or Center that iseligible for funding. All
events are open to the entire NIU community and thepublic.
To Submit a Proposal:
1. Before beginning your proposal,please carefully review the
Colloquium guidelines and proposal information onthe Graduate School
Colloquium page - http://www.grad.niu.edu/grad/colloquium/proposal.shtml
Examples of successful proposals are included on this site.
2. Complete an application form (attachedto this same email) and submit
an “Electronic” version of it to: firstname.lastname@example.org October 28, 2010 –
•Supplementary materials may be submitted to the GraduatePrograms office
by the above deadline, but will not be forwarded to theGraduate School
Colloquium Committee for final review. Includeall of the necessary
vitae information in the application form.
•Do Not Submit the InitialProposal Online – It Must First be Approved by
the School of Art GraduateCommittee prior.
•Please note that the “ROLEOF Graduate Student in Speaker Selection”
section of the application formis a very important component. Please be
thorough in your explanation of how the selection was made andidentify
the role and numbers of the graduate students who were involved in
theprocess (e.g. vetted through an organization, number of students
polled,polling process, etc.). Thesubmissions may come from individual
students, but it should demonstrate thatthere was a group of students
who were consulted to support the invitation ofthe speaker.
*See examples provided on the Colloquium website (above).
•The Graduate School Colloquium Committee reserves the finaldecision for
the acceptance of the proposals.
-Thank you and goodnight.
Saturday, October 9, 2010
- Since we weren't able to have a print sale last week, we will be having a One Day Sale on Monday 10/11 on the second floor of the School of Art from 10am-4pm. If you would like to participate, please email Jessica or Kyle. So far here is the schedule of shifts of the people who attended the meeting:
10am-12pm: Kyle, Ben, James
12pm-2pm: Mike, Dan (12pm-1pm), Kari (12pm-1pm)
2pm-4pm: Jessica, Adrian, Aaron (2pm-3pm)
We really only need 3 people at the most to man the tables. We have plenty of prints for the sale, but if you really need to get rid of some and would like to donate, feel free to bring them in. Again keep in mind that all money raised will go to the club.
Second Order of Business: BadDog Guerilla Style!!
-It's on! Bandolier Press will be working along side GAA in a Dia de los Muertos theme. GAA will be selling decorated and undecorated sugar skulls while we will be making and selling Dia de los Muertos masks, shirts and posters.
But first! We need designs. We're asking for submissions for a skull design in which we will use for this event. Submissions need to be emailed to me by Tuesday 10/19.
We discussed at the meeting that it would be best that the design be useable as a mask and t-shirt design, add a little text around it and voila! you've also got a poster!
Third Order of Business: Print Auction
- As of right now, the plan is to have the print auction is set at the week before Thanksgiving break. We still need to look at the available times for the cases.
Fourth Order of Buisness: Review of Constitution and Officer Duties
- Next meeting we will go over, discuss and reinstate the duties of each officer in the club and possibly change parts of the club's constitution.
Fifth Order of Buisness: Club Dues
-You have one more week to get the semesterly club dues turned in to Kyle, Jessica or Adrian. Again it is $25, checks are to be made out to Adrian Chin.
List of those who have paid:
If you have paid and your name is not up there, be sure to email Jessica.
**Next meeting will be on 10/22 at the Annex Studios 3rd floor East crit space at 5pm!**